Aug 18 2011
California High-Speed Rail Authority to Issue RFQs
The California High-Speed Rail Authority announced July 29, 2011 that they will start the bidding process for the project’s initial construction within 90 days.
Request for qualifications (RFQ) will be sent out by November and request for proposals (RFP) will then be issued in early 2012.
See the email below for full details:
Dear Prospective Team Member,
Thank you for your interest in California’s high-speed rail project.
As part of the commitment to keep you informed of the planning for the statewide high-speed rail network we have included below the latest planning details about the first construction contract packages. These packages represent the start of construction on the backbone of the system, more than 100 miles long, in the Central Valley and are based on the approximately $6 billion in funding available at this time.
As a reminder we anticipate releasing the first request for qualifications (RFQ) within the next 90 days and then a request for proposals (RFP) in early 2012.
Additionally, we are eager to continue engaging the small business community and are planning a small business focused event in Fresno on September 8th. Please check our calendar for more details.
If you have any questions about the information below please contact Ted R. Blunck, Commercial Manager – California High-Speed Rail Project at 916-431-2932 or BlunckT@pbworld.com.
Initial construction will be divided into five (5) packages as follows:
- A large design-build contract for a section of construction running from the San Joaquin River north of Fresno south through the city of Fresno to approximately East American Way. It will be 26 to 37 miles in length depending on the final alignment selected through the environmental process, including 12 grade separations, 2 viaducts, 1 tunnel and a major river crossing over the San Joaquin River. This package will be in the $1-2 billion range. (see graphic below)
- Smaller design-build construction packages in the $500 million – $1 billion range will be divided regionally as follows (see graphic below):
- Approximately 28 miles from approximately East American Way in South Fresno south to approximately Hanford Aroma Road, including 20 grade separations and 3 viaducts.
- Approximately 55 miles in length from approximately Hanford Aroma Road south to approximately Dresser Avenue, including 21 grade separations, one viaduct and 4 river crossings.
- Approximately 14 miles from approximately Dresser Avenue south to approximately Allen Road, including 2 grade separations and 1 major viaduct.
- A fifth package will follow to include all of the track work for the entire length of the initial construction section.
Possible additional early initial construction contract packages:
- Early procurement of up to four architectural/engineer contracts
- Early procurement of up to six construction management contracts
- An early procurement of a design-bid-build contract for the reconstruction of Fresno Street underpass in Fresno, California
- An early procurement of a design-bid-build contract for the construction of an aerial structure over the Union Pacific Railroad in Fresno
View the email in a separate window, here.